29.3.14

Best of the Best


Here's a picture from the triathlon expo I attended today. I think everything that could go wrong with a picture, went wrong in this one. Closed eyes, awkward smile... The list goes on. At least my double chin game is strong. But since this is the only clear picture I got with Siri (yes, that's her real name), I'm sticking with it. It's not every day I get to take a picture with a back to back triathlon world champion! 

Really cool lady, really cool experience. She gave a great presentation, and I thought some of the things she talked about would be interesting for the blog:

My first real takeaway was how far she has come in the sport of triathlon. I realized how it really is possible that, with a little passion, even the most seemingly hopeless athletes can become some of the best in the world. She told us a story about her first ever triathlon - she only knew how to doggy paddle for the swim, then hopped on a rental mountain bike before spending the 3 mile run alternating between sprinting and dry heaving. Despite coming in dead last, she loved the experience and wanted more. Eventually it grew into an obsession of hers, which carried her to the top of the ITU World Championship podium in 2001 and 2002. She went in to (a lot) of detail describing her training and journey to the championships, but her bottom line was that her passion for the sport was what made her great.

Be passionate about something. This blog is a product of my passion for Crossfit. My brother devotes his time to becoming a better leader because he has a passion for leadership. Some of my friends have passion for soccer or basketball. Find something awesome and be passionate about it. It makes life a lot more enjoyable.

The second thing I learned from her, and this is more oriented to Crossfit and training in general, is to not take yourself too seriously. I definitely needed to hear that, and I know a lot of people who could appreciate that information too. Sometimes I beat myself up about missing a workout. I know people who have come over and who have beaten themselves up over not being able to do a certain move or lift. Neither of these situations are reasons to get discouraged or give up. I'll come back and get a harder workout in the next day. He'll come back in a couple months and be able to do 25 pullups in a row.

Feed off the support and positivity of the group to make it more enjoyable if you're feeling rough during or after a workout. As I mentioned in The Crew, if you're not having fun, you're not crossfitting.

It's a journey, not a destination. If you don't enjoy the journey, what's the point of even going?

No comments:

Post a Comment