13.4.14

Invictus


One of many quality selfies taken on the mountain. Props to whoever invented the fisheye lens for iPhones!

-

Zamcave. Week 2. Monday.

Depending on leg functionality after track practice, here's what I have in mind:

- 3RM power snatch

5 RFT
- 75m farmer carry (1.5 pood KB)
- 21 burpees


One of my favorite poems of all time is "Invictus" by William Ernest Henley. I have it memorized and often say parts or all of it to myself or others. It's weird, I know. It's kind of a heavy poem, but I love it because it has helped me get through a bunch of tough times and I feel like it applies well to a lot of aspects of life in general (not more so than "If" by Rudyard Kipling... that's for a different day.) Lately, there have been some more frequent rough patches, both athletically and otherwise, and keeping this poem in mind has helped me tremendously. Here it is:


Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.


What a poem. Henley's story is really inspiring also if you care to look him up.

Anyways, I'll leave you all with a link to some good Mainsite material. Definitely a must-read/must-watch.

Article

Video








No comments:

Post a Comment